Tuition & Assistance
Orchard House is committed to ensuring economic diversity within each class. In order to accomplish our mission, the Board, faculty, and staff raise funds exclusively for the purposes of scholarships. Tuition assistance students come from throughout the metropolitan Richmond area.
We partner with School and Student Services (SSS) by NAIS in our tuition assistance process. To begin your tuition assistance application, you will complete SSS’s Parents’ Financial Statement (PFS). The PFS is a comprehensive application that will take some time to complete. Give yourself the time you need by not waiting until the deadline to begin. You’ll need your most recent tax return before beginning the PFS. We also recommend that you review the wide range of materials that SSS has put together to help families with the tuition assistance process. They can be found at sssbynais.org/parents.
Tuition for the 2018-2019 school year is $19,205. Fees comprise a Supply & Activity Fee of $1,000 and a Technology Fee of $900.
We believe that everyone in the Orchard House School community benefits from the opportunity to interact with people of diverse backgrounds and beliefs. Tuition assistance is one means of developing and maintaining a diverse school community and ensuring an ideal number of enrolled students. The purpose of the Tuition Assistance program is to provide mission-appropriate students with access to an Orchard House School education that might otherwise be unavailable to them. Orchard House School values and encourages diversity in learning styles, leadership skills, social skills, academic achievement, geographic perspectives, and socioeconomics, as well as race and ethnicity.
The Orchard House School Tuition Assistance program strives to provide need-based tuition assistance to meet as much of the demonstrated need of members of the Orchard House School community as possible. Orchard House School works to assist families whose need is substantial, and we also carefully assess and support the needs of families who have extenuating circumstances that prohibit their ability to pay full tuition. To that end, Orchard House School offers a series of tuition assistance initiatives that can be used individually or in combination. These initiatives include the following:
• Tuition discount based on demonstrated financial need
• Tuition payment plans designed to meet a variety of economic circumstances
• For students demonstrating significant financial need, assistance with additional mandatory school expenses, such as athletic fees, physical education uniforms, and field trip fees
Our ability to provide these programs is limited by the financial resources we are able to raise and budget for tuition assistance. Since the demonstrated need of tuition assistance applicants exceeds the amount of tuition assistance funding available, timeliness in submission of all required tuition assistance application materials is essential. For information about the Tuition Assistance program, please contact Melody Imburg, the Director of Tuition Assistance, at 804-228-2436, x118.
- Orchard House School will provide families with comprehensive information about the total yearly cost, aid opportunities, payment options, policies, and procedures.
- Orchard House School will recognize that the primary responsibility for financing a student’s education rests with the student’s family, as much as possible.
- Orchard House School will use a uniform methodology to assess annually the ability to pay of each family applying for tuition assistance in a consistent and equitable manner. Orchard House School currently uses SSS (School and Student Services), a program designed and run by the National Association of Independent Schools. Adequate documentation of all family resources is required.
- Orchard House School will make every effort to meet as much of the demonstrated need of admitted or enrolled tuition assistance applicants as resources allow.
- Orchard House School will notify accepted applicants of tuition assistance decisions before expecting a binding reply to the offer of admission.
- Orchard House School will safeguard the confidentiality of all financial information submitted by a family.
- Orchard House School and members of the Tuition Assistance Committee will refrain from disclosing the names of tuition assistance recipients and award amounts.
- Orchard House School will have the same standards of behavior and academic performance for tuition assistance recipients as for all students.